The thing that has taken most of the time I have spent on my project so far was to make my website interact with the database. I ran into a lot of unknown errors and I had to spend hours going through my code or discussing ideas and approaches of what could be wrong and how to fix it with my peers.
Some of the parts worked, for example the posting, logging in and out. The part that I could not get to work was the actual signing up. After I ran out of ideas, I went to get some help from my workshop teacher Kyle. It turned out that I forgot to set some variables that were crucial for the connection. I fixed my problem and was finally able to properly start with the rest.
In the following, you see the code for the three forms that can currently be used on our website. The ones on the first picture are the login-form and the sign-up form and the one on the second picture is the form for posting.
I decided to move away from the usual forms (like the ones that I had before) where there is a little bit of text, then a colon and a blank box where you can enter text. Instead I wanted no text next to the box and a placeholder instead.
Name: [_____] ———> [_Name_]
You can easily see that comparing the two pictures of the code. The first one already is equipped with a place holder, the second one still has the description “Gender:”
But that was not it, to improve the appearance; I also added a background picture and turned the boxes transparent. In the following you can see part of the CSS-code and the actual appearance on the webpage: