Holidays and what I have been doing

Since I was going home for the holidays, my group and I decided to finish most of the project before the Easter break. To do so, we had a group meeting on the last Friday before and because during this group meeting we noticed that a lot of things still had to be done, me and Tina decided to stay at Uni a bit longer to finish the work. During this night, Tina worked on the aboutus.php page and since I had the PHP for our page finished at this point, focussed a bit on the design aspect as well as I helped other course members with their PHP. Beccy could not stay because she had to go home but she said she would take care of making the page responsive. Also, she worked on the PHP for the search engine and because she finished it this day, I integrated it into the page.  At the end of this, we had a functional site with a newer design as well as the aboutus page working.

I then went home for holidays and spent some time ‘cleaning up’ the code, like taking out things we did not need anymore and formatting. I also changed some small things, like replacing ‘ucfirst’ with ‘ucwords’ in some cases, so not only the first letter of the first word would be capital but the first of every word. That was important for example for the locations that consisted of two words instead of one. I then looked through the file on my computer and the one on github and uploaded all the changes I had made. To double check if the github version was working, I downloaded the .zip file and looked at the page using XAMPP. I then did some more edits and in the end, the version was up to date.

After all of this was done and we were sure that we would not make any major additions to the code, I started commenting the PHP. Once I am back, I offered to meet up with my teammates to go through all the code and comments together so we would all have an understanding of everything.

New group member and taking photos

Today, Tina joined our group. She was having troubles with her own group, so she talked to Rob and he then allowed her to join ours. Since we were already pretty far into the Development of our project, there was a lot to catch her up on. Because we were all free, we arranged a group meeting and then spent some time on informing her about our work, our progress and ideas behind it. Also, we talked about the things we were still struggling with (for example the name and logo of our page) and Tina gave us some input on what we could do. After spending a lot of time thinking about the project, me and Becky knew exactly what we wanted the name to sound like and because we did not know how to clearly transform that into an actual result, we were stuck a little. Since Tina at this time had not been involved in all the planning, she had a clear mind and she gave us some input, we had not even thought about. Because we liked her ideas, we asked her if she wanted to think about the name a little more and maybe do some idea collecting on it. We all thought that might be a nice way for her to get involved in the project right away. Also, she wanted to catch up on our blog posts and I went through the code of the Home-/Posting-Page with her to explain what I did how and what still had to be done. I then updated the code on GITHUB and we added Tina to our group, so she could take part in the development of the code. Becky then showed us the Welcome-Page she put together and explained how she did it.

After we spend all this time going over code, we decided it might be a nice idea to use the rest of the day to improve the design part of our website. The girls really liked the photo I used for the Login-Page and after talking about it for a bit, we came to the conclusion that the PHP/Database part of our website was stable enough to start thinking a bit about the CSS as well. We thought it might be a nice bonding experience to go to town together to take some more photos like it and then put them together in a slideshow as the background for our Login-Page. This idea was inspired by websites like blindbarber.com or vanmoof.com (they are linked in the References at the end of this post). In the following you can see the site blindbarber.com with their slideshow:

Screenshot (258) Screenshot (259)

We thought we would only stick to photos of Bournemouth because we were creating a page for BU students and that is would be a nice touch to make this connection even clearer by focussing on Bournemouth itself. Also, we were still missing a couple of pictures for the About-Us (Welcome-Page) of ourselves. Since Israfiel did not come to the beach with us though, we decided to take those another day. Taking photos in town, we all thought about previous projects we did for our course and how for example the alphabet photo project helped us improve our photography skills and how we could use those now to improve the quality of our website’s design.


References:

Unknown, 2011. Blind Barber. Available from: http://blindbarber.com/. [Last accessed: 10th March 2015]

Unknown, unknown. Vanmoof. Available from: http://vanmoof.com/ . [Last accessed: 10th March 2015]