Today, we had our second group meeting, deciding on the final idea of our project and setting some goal we want to have reached by after reading week. Also, we decided on some task for each one individual.
First of all, I am going to explain our project that we (so far) call the “anonymous Project”.
Idea: A place where University students can share ideas, experiences and mostly short stories or comments from their university and private life with a rating system that allows the readers to give positive or negative feedback. That concept may remind of social site like Facebook or Twitter. What we are going to do differently though is adding anonymity. The main idea of this project is creating a site where students will be able to talk freely without the intimidation of others knowing who they are.
The concept: Even though the principle behind a site like this is the users’ interaction as well as responsibility to not misuse it, we thought of a “sign-up” system to ensure the right use of the page. It would work like this:
- The users signs up. To do so, he names his year, name, gender and possibly Student ID (this would enable to track a user down in case of strong misuse. But it might also scare users off from sharing all of their thoughts, so we will still decide about that).
- It is important that the user will at this point be informed that that data is confidential and the posts will be anonymously whatever he enters.
- The user logs in.
- After that the user can use the page to either read and rank tweets or tweet himself. We thought about sorting them location wise, but we are not sure if we have enough knowledge to do so. We will have to do more research about that.
- The tweets will not contain the text, the gender of the person tweeting, their year of study (and maybe location).
- The user logs out, he returns to the sign-up/login page.
After we reviewed that idea and decided that we all agreed on where we were, we set individual tasks, each one of us should try and complete until after reading week, since we would not be able to meet during.
I was supposed to create the first version of the tweeting/login page. That means a basic layout, the tweet/login/register forms and the PHP that was needed to connect to the database.
Rebecca was supposed to create a “About the team page” and think about a possible official name/logo for the project. Also, she would take care of the navigation bar.
And Israfiel was supposed to put a “about BU/Bournemouth” page together since we are planning to create the page for BU in particular.