Holidays and what I have been doing

Since I was going home for the holidays, my group and I decided to finish most of the project before the Easter break. To do so, we had a group meeting on the last Friday before and because during this group meeting we noticed that a lot of things still had to be done, me and Tina decided to stay at Uni a bit longer to finish the work. During this night, Tina worked on the aboutus.php page and since I had the PHP for our page finished at this point, focussed a bit on the design aspect as well as I helped other course members with their PHP. Beccy could not stay because she had to go home but she said she would take care of making the page responsive. Also, she worked on the PHP for the search engine and because she finished it this day, I integrated it into the page.  At the end of this, we had a functional site with a newer design as well as the aboutus page working.

I then went home for holidays and spent some time ‘cleaning up’ the code, like taking out things we did not need anymore and formatting. I also changed some small things, like replacing ‘ucfirst’ with ‘ucwords’ in some cases, so not only the first letter of the first word would be capital but the first of every word. That was important for example for the locations that consisted of two words instead of one. I then looked through the file on my computer and the one on github and uploaded all the changes I had made. To double check if the github version was working, I downloaded the .zip file and looked at the page using XAMPP. I then did some more edits and in the end, the version was up to date.

After all of this was done and we were sure that we would not make any major additions to the code, I started commenting the PHP. Once I am back, I offered to meet up with my teammates to go through all the code and comments together so we would all have an understanding of everything.

Advertisements

HTML WORKSHOP 1

Using the free software brackets, we did our very first little HTML workshop. HTML is the language that is used to create websites. Since I had never done anything HTML related before, I found it a bit confusing. But I am planning to work through some Lynda tutorials to get ahead of the workshops.

In this workshop, I learned some basics. For example that a HTML code always has a “head” and a “body” part. The first one is to display the websites title, the second one for the actual content. Also, the code always had to start with <!DOCTYPE html> and it has to be opened with <html> and closed with </html>. In the following you can see the basic structure.

<!DOCTYPE html>
 
<html>
 
<head>
	<title></title>
</head>
 
<body>
 
</body>
</html>